Monday, October 24, 2011

Nagging or Nurturing?


I came home from school today thinking that it was a bit of a 'nag' day. All day long it was:
Listen carefully...
Head your paper correctly...
Follow directions quickly...
Go back and redo...
Is this your best handwriting?
This work is not acceptable.
All books live in book boxes.
Yes, what? (yes, ma'am). 

In my head I imagined Charlie Brown's teacher.
...until I read this post by one of my students written just a few minutes ago:  

I HOPE THE KIDS IN 3RD GRADE GET MRS.KILGO BECAUSE SHE IS AWESOME AND ROCKS!!SHE MAKES EVERYTHING FUN AND EVEN NO U THINK IT MIGHT NOT BE FUN SHE MAKES IT SEEM REALLY FUN!!!! I LUV MRS.KILGO SHE IS THE BEST TEACHER EVER I WISH MRS.KILGO COULD MOVE UP EACH GRADE TO TEACH ME !!!!!!!!! 

Yes, I know that there are a few errors and that she is shouting. We're working on that, too, along with all of those other things I posted above.

The point is...I thought of today as a nagging day. She had a great day. How is that possible? Here's what I think may go on (or at least hope it does) in some of their precious, little heads:


I said…
Students thought…
Listen carefully...
Head your paper correctly...
Follow directions quickly...
Go back and redo...
Is this your best handwriting?
This work is not acceptable.
All books live in book boxes.
Yes, what? (yes, ma'am)

She’s about to say something important
Mrs. Kilgo wants me to be organized.
Our time together is important.
Mrs. Kilgo won’t except less that my best.
Little things matter.
My teacher knows I can do better.
She wants me to be responsible.
Mrs. Kilgo wants me to be respectful.


I think the bottom line is that students feel safe and secure when they are in a structured, loving environment. They know I love them. They also know that I want what's best for them and will not accept less than their best.

Nagging or nurturing? I guess it just depends on perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment