Saturday, June 16, 2012

Guided Math Chapter 2

Now my question about numeracy-rich classrooms has been answered! I sort of thought that it was similar to a literacy-rich classroom environment, but I wanted examples. Chapter two did not disappoint! I have so much to think about now. Here were my biggest take-aways:
  1. Calendar Board/Math Wall: As an upper grades teacher, I don't "do" calendar math every day, but I would like to incorporate this next year. Its a great way to get in that spiral review. I liked how the book suggested each child having his/her own calendar or agenda so they can make connections to what you're doing during calendar activities. I think I'll try that next year. I plan to review shapes, word wall words, math concepts like even/odd or skip counting, months of the year, elapsed time (What will be the date in two weeks and five days?) and problems of the day. This is similar to the 3rd grade calendar math that we did in Saxon math.
  2. Anchor Charts/Graphic Organizers: While I did a few of these this year, I need to do wwaaayyy more! And I need to set aside a space in my room to hang them. I especially loved the modified Frayer diagram.
  3. Math Productions by Student Authors: She actually suggests having students make math books, but being the tech nerd that I am, I would rather have the kids use tech tools for their productions. I'm thinking I might incorporate the tech part into a station or center during Guided Math. Some of the tools I'm thinking of using are Flipcams for videos, Powerpoint, Prezi, VoiceThread, Glogster, Voki, and the iMotion app for making stop-motion movies. I don't have the plan fully fledged yet, but I definitely want the kiddos to experience using more tech tools for learning math next year. 
How about you? What are your thoughts on Chapter 2 or my post? I'd love to hear from you!

Want in on more of the conversation? Check out our first two hosts' blog posts:
Chapter 1: Primarily Inspired



6 comments:

  1. This is wierd that I was thinking along the same lines with the math books. Tech is the way to go! I may need some help on just how to go about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like a great book. I've seen it all over blogs, but thought, "I just can't add one more "Must Read" to my list this summer." I'm starting to think I don't have a choice...good stuff here. :)

    Thanks for linking up on my More Teaching Blogs page. I look forward to learning and sharing with you.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Farrah! I am following you now too! I didn't realize you had your National Board Certification too!!! That's exciting to know! I thought it was a tough process, but loved how it made me a much more reflective teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the previous post from Amanda I am already doing a book study on daily 5 and cafe for intermediate grades, but I would love to look at what the author has to say about calendar math. I used it for the first time last year with my fourth graders and loved the repitition. I love your idea of asking what the date will be in a specified amount of weeks and days. I might have to spend the money to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you share what types of activities the students complete with calendar math? This is new to me and the book doesn't go into any detail.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am very excited to be a part of this study!

    Patti
    On The Road to Success

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patti,
    I'm a little rusty on the calendar board because I haven't done it in several years, but I'm working on a document with sample questions I plan to use. Here's the link if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sb9pYKgopk0JHa--RsPBw1mk49gaY0uZOFoRQui9-Pc/edit

    ReplyDelete